Table of Contents
- Babar Azam steps down as captain across all formats, with Mohammad Amir advising him to embrace the change as a new challenge.
- Shan Masood appointed Test captain, receiving praise from Amir for his outstanding domestic season performance.
- Imad Wasim welcomes Babar’s decision, highlighting the relief from captaincy pressure, while Shaheen Afridi takes on the T20I captaincy. PCB also overhauls coaching staff.
In a surprising turn of events, Babar Azam, the renowned Pakistani cricketer, decided to step down from captaincy across all formats on Wednesday, November 15. Former pacer Mohammad Amir, offering his perspective on the matter, asserted that Azam, as a player, has nothing left to prove and should embrace this change as a new challenge.
Amir, speaking on the Geo News program Haarna Mana Hay, urged Azam to view the departure from captaincy as an opportunity rather than a setback. Drawing a parallel, he mentioned how Virat Kohli learned about his captaincy removal through social media, emphasizing the importance of direct communication in such matters.
“This is my advice to Babar [Azam] that he should take this thing [leaving captaincy] as a challenge. He has nothing to prove as a player,” Amir said while talking on Geo News program Haarna Mana Hay.
Shifting focus to the newly-appointed Test captain, Shan Masood, Amir expressed optimism about Masood’s potential to excel in the captaincy role, citing his impressive performance in the domestic season.
Imad Wasim and Mohammad Amir look happy with Babar Azam’s resignation
Joining the conversation, left-arm all-rounder Imad Wasim welcomed Babar Azam’s decision, highlighting the relief from the intense pressure of captaincy. Imad also extended a warm welcome to Shaheen Afridi as the new T20I captain, acknowledging the challenges that come with leading the team in the shortest format.
“I think Babar Azam’s decision is great. He can now [entirely] focus on his batting without the extra pressure of captaincy. There is so much pressure [of captaincy],” Imad said. “I want to welcome Shaheen Afridi as a T20I captain.”
The shake-up continued as the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) made significant changes, not only in captaincy but also in the coaching staff. The entire coaching staff, including Director Cricket Mickey Arthur, faced the axe, with the PCB reshuffling the coaching portfolio. Bowling coach Morne Morkel had already resigned, and Umar Gul is speculated to take on his role.
With Shan Masood set to lead the Test side and Shaheen Afridi taking charge of the T20I format, Pakistan cricket is undergoing a transformation, marked by players stepping into new roles and a revamped coaching staff. As Azam relinquishes the captaincy, the cricketing landscape in Pakistan braces for a period of change and adaptation.
- TGS vs IRR Live Score, Nature Isle T10 2023 Live Score, TGS vs IRR Live Score Updates
- KS vs AEC Live Score, Kuwait T20 Elite Cup 2023 Live Score, KS vs AEC Live Score Updates
- SSS vs CRD Live Score, Nature Isle T10 2023 Live Score, SSS vs CRD Live Score Updates
- BAD vs PIC Live Score, ECS T10 Spain 2023 Live Score, BAD vs PIC Live Score Updates
- ABB vs KW Live Score, Pakistan T20 Cup 2023 Live Score, ABB vs KW Dream11 Prediction, Lineup