Left-arm fast bowler Mohammad Amir announced his international cricket retirement on December 17, 2020, claiming “mental torture” from the current team management. The PCB responded that they respected his decision and it was his reason, and as such, will not make any further comment on this matter at this stage.
It showed Amir’s relations and the current team management, head coach Misbah ul-Haq and bowling coach Waqar Younis have been broken down.
Amir was even excluded from the 35 men squad that went on the tour of New Zealand. When asked about why he was excluded, Amir responded that “Only Misbah can explain that.”
Since then, Amir has received mixed criticism from the fans. Many believed that his retirement was a good choice, while others understand the reasoning behind his dropping. Amir’s performance hasn’t been top notch in both domestic, league, and international cricket. And Misbah explained that his performance was the reason he was dropped.
“Nobody was supporting his selection based on performance. I have no idea why he made up everything and tried to give this whole scenario a context out of proportion. For him, it was a simple method: go back and prove his form and get back in the team, and everything else is irrelevant.”
Both Misbah and Waqar gave their statements on his retirement. However, the 28 years old was not convinced and said that he stands by his retirement decision if the current management prevails. Amir also said that If new team management comes into place, given that there were rumors of Misbah and Waqar’s exclusion from the coaching roles after the New Zealand tour, he will let the Board know he will be available for national selection.
Mohammad Amir to take back his retirement decision
Despite all the rift between Mohammad Amir and senior players, there is a new statement given by the fast bowler earlier today. He stated that he is ready to take back his retirement and make his comeback to the national side. He will be interviewed by the SAMAA TV at 5 pm Pakistan time.