In an exhilarating encounter at the M. A. Chidambaram Stadium in Chennai on Tuesday, the Chennai Super Kings (CSK) emerged victorious against the Gujarat Titans by 15 runs. This impressive win not only secured CSK’s place in the IPL final but also extended their record to an unprecedented 10th final appearance.
CSK, led by the legendary MS Dhoni, last reached the final in the 2021 season, where they clinched their fourth title by defeating the Kolkata Knight Riders in a thrilling finale held in Dubai. However, their journey to the summit clash this time comes after a lackluster performance in the previous edition of the IPL, where they finished a disappointing ninth out of ten teams.
The match between CSK and GT in the IPL 2023 Qualifier 1 was a spectacle to behold, showcasing the clash between two formidable teams. This encounter marked the fourth meeting between the Super Kings and the Titans in the current season, with CSK emerging victorious on all four occasions. The first showdown took place in Ahmedabad on March 31, where the home side comfortably secured a five-wicket win.
Notably, CSK’s triumph in this qualifier match marked their fifth victory in Qualifier 1 matches since the inception of the playoffs system in the 2011 season. While the team has clinched the IPL title on four occasions, they have experienced disappointment in the finals on five occasions, falling short against the Mumbai Indians thrice, and once each against the Kolkata Knight Riders and the Rajasthan Royals.
Let’s delve into CSK’s performances in Qualifier 1 matches over the years. Out of the seven Qualifier 1 matches they have played, CSK emerged victorious in five and suffered defeat in two encounters. Their impressive track record in the playoffs further extends to matches played in Chennai, where they have won three out of five matches.
Now, let’s take a trip down memory lane and revisit CSK’s playoff performances since the inception of the playoffs system in 2011:
- 2010: CSK made sure to crush Sachin Tendulkar’s Mumbai Indians in the IPL 2010 final to bag their first-ever tournament’s trophy۔ Note that they reached IPL 2008 final but were crushed by Rajasthan Royals۔ In the 2010 season, they managed to win by 22 runs at DY Patil stadium.
- 2011: CSK’s journey started with a six-wicket victory against the Royal Challengers Bangalore in the Qualifier 1 match held at Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai. They went on to dominate the finals, defeating RCB by 58 runs at the M. A. Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai.
- 2012: CSK began their playoffs campaign with a 38-run victory over the Mumbai Indians in the Eliminator match held at M. Chinnaswamy Stadium, Bengaluru. They continued their winning streak in the Qualifier 2 match against the Delhi Daredevils, securing an emphatic 86-run win at the M. A. Chidambaram Stadium. However, their journey was cut short in the finals as they suffered a five-wicket defeat at the hands of the Kolkata Knight Riders at their home ground.
- 2013: CSK once again showed their dominance in the playoffs. In the Qualifier 1 match at Feroz Shah Kotla, Delhi, they emerged victorious with a 48-run win over the Mumbai Indians. However, they couldn’t replicate their success in the final and faced a 23-run defeat against the same opponent, the Mumbai Indians, at Eden Gardens, Kolkata.
- 2014: CSK started their playoff journey with a convincing seven-wicket win over the Mumbai Indians in the Eliminator match at Brabourne Stadium, Mumbai. However, their quest for the final came to an end in the Qualifier 2 match as they faced a 24-run defeat against the Kings XI Punjab at Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai.
- 2015: CSK faced a setback in the Qualifier 1 match as they suffered a 25-run defeat at the hands of the Mumbai Indians at Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai. However, they made a strong comeback in the Qualifier 2 match, defeating the Royal Challengers Bangalore by three wickets at JSCA Stadium, Ranchi. Unfortunately, they couldn’t seize the title and experienced a 41-run defeat against the Mumbai Indians in the final held at Eden Gardens, Kolkata.
- 2018: CSK showcased their mettle in the Qualifier 1 match, edging past the Sunrisers Hyderabad by two wickets at Wankhede Stadium, Mumbai. They carried their momentum into the final, defeating the Sunrisers Hyderabad once again, this time by eight wickets, at the same venue.
- 2019: CSK faced a defeat in the Qualifier 1 match against the Mumbai Indians, losing by six wickets at the M. A. Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai. However, they bounced back in the Qualifier 2 match, defeating the Delhi Capitals by six wickets at the ACA–VDCA Cricket Stadium, Visakhapatnam. In a nail-biting final, they fell agonizingly short by just one run against the Mumbai Indians at Rajiv Gandhi International Cricket Stadium, Hyderabad.
- 2021: CSK showcased their resilience in the Qualifier 1 match, defeating the Delhi Capitals by four wickets at Dubai International Cricket Stadium, Dubai. They carried their form into the final, emerging victorious with a 27-run win over the Kolkata Knight Riders at the same venue.
- Now, in the current season of IPL, CSK has once again secured their place in the final by defeating the Gujarat Titans by 15 runs in the Qualifier 1 match held at the M. A. Chidambaram Stadium, Chennai. With a record-extending 10th final appearance within their grasp, CSK aims to add another title to their illustrious collection.
As the tournament progresses, cricket enthusiasts eagerly anticipate the IPL 2023 Eliminator clash between the Mumbai Indians and the Lucknow team, which promises to be an exciting knockout encounter.
- RCC vs ASL Live Score, ECS T10 Rome Live Score, RCC vs ASL Live Score Updates, RCC vs ASL Playing XI’s
- SAP vs RUB Live Score, KCA Pink T20 Challenge 2023 Live Score, SAP vs RUB Live Score Updates
- ROR vs RBMS Live Score, ECS T10 Rome Live Score, ROR vs RBMS Live Score Updates,
- AMB vs PEALive Score, KCA Pink T20 Challenge 2023 Live Score, AMB vs PEA Live Score Updates
- Pakistan to announce World Cup squad after World Cup 2023