India’s emerging quick bowling talent Umran Malik has named his bowling idols, neglecting that the former Pakistani pace bowler, Waqar Younis, who was one of the best of his time in the category, has never been his idol. Instead, he mentioned his counterparts Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Mohammad Shami, and Jasprit Bumrah, saying he has grown up watching them bowl.
Undoubtedly, Umran produced quality deliveries in the recent edition of the Indian Premier League. All his bowls were dispatched at a speed of 150 or more kph and for the reason, he was among the headlines. Some of the experts felt he might break the record of the fastest ball in cricket, which was bowled by Pakistan’s Shoaib Akhtar.
On one occasion, former Australian cricketer Brett Lee compared him to Waqar Younis. He stated Umran’s bowling reminds him of Younis terming the youngster a competitor of the former arch-rival.
“I am a big fan. I think Umran Malik has got a lot of pace to burn. He is a competitor, a top guy, who runs in like a lot of fast bowlers in the past. Waqar Younis is the person who comes to mind,”
However, Umran has contradicted his statement by narrating,
“I have not followed Waqar Younis. I have a natural action. My idols include (Jasprit) Bumrah, (Mohammed) Shami and Bhuvneshwar (Kumar) bhai. I used to follow them when I was playing while coming through the ranks,”
It must be noted Malik has received his maiden call from the Board of Control of Cricket in India (BCCI). He has been named in the 18-player squad for the upcoming five-match T20I series versus South Africa alongside the top performers of the IPL 2022.
- ALH vs DR Live Score, KCC T20 Elite Championship Live Score, ALH vs DR Dream11 Prediction, Lineup
- FM vs SVD Live Score, ICCA Arabian T20 League 2023 Live Score, FM vs SVD Dream11 Prediction, Lineup
- GZZ vs SWU Live Score, ECS T10 Malta Live Score, GZZ vs SWU Dream11 Prediction, Lineup
- Sarfaraz Ahmed Under Fire for Verbal Outburst in Quetta Gladiators Match
- How PSL shaped careers? PSL stars opened up